Watched The Biggest Loser on Tuesday and as always it inspired me. It made me cry and it made me cheer all within one episode. This year there's a woman on there that lost both her children and her husband in a car accident. MY GOD!!! How do you survive something like that? But survive she did...and now she's trying to figure out her purpose. I think this is going to be a beautiful story of self discovery as it unfolds. I'm looking forward to this season.
I think that self-discover and self-awareness are huge factors in recovering from obesity. Seriously there is something going on inside of you that makes you turn to food in excess and until you figure out what that is and get over it, you could easily revert back to those same unhealthy choices in the future. All that work could be reversed and in many cases even more weight than was originally lost will be gained. I don't want that!
As I stated yesterday, one of my bad habits is self-sabotage. Why? A huge milestone for me would be to get below 200lbs. There's a weight I have not been below in perhaps over 20 years. I've been as close as 201...but I've always sabotaged myself right at that point and put weight back on. Is it my body physically telling me it's comfortable at that weight? Or is my mind somehow afraid to go below that point? And if so, why? I seriously don't know but I'm going to try to figure that one out!
I do know I turn to food when I am bored, sad, mad or any other emotional trigger you might come up with. It has been my comfort for many many years. After reading so much material about it I understand the physiological affect that eating (especially high fat, high sugar foods) have on the body and how it can actually become like a fix in an addiction. All that makes sense to my intellect...now I have to get those emotions under control. I have to figure out how to make it stop on that emotional level! For instance you also get a sort of high from exercise...can I replace one bad habit for a good one and get the same emotional satisfaction? I think that's something I'm gonna try.
Talked to my coach from Jillian's website. She doesn't like the idea of me jumping into running right off the bat. Here is her advice to be on how I can get my jogging increased:
"Jog 10 steps; walk 10 steps. Continue this pattern for 20-30 minutes. When you are comfortable with this pattern and no longer feel like your heart rate is too fast or you are exerting too much, do the following:Jog 20 steps; walk 10 steps. Continue this pattern for 20-30 minutes.From here, you gradually increase (over days or weeks) the number of steps you jog, while keeping the walking the same. Once you get to this point, let me know and I can help you with specifics on how to progress to more jogging."
Her advice makes perfect sense to me, but I'm not sure how I can measure the jogging portion so that I can keep track for my 20 mile goal. I mean if I'm alternating walking and jogging on a treadmill - even if I reset the distance each time I start to jog, it's not likely that I'm going to be able to carry a notebook and jot down the distance for each 10 step session, so that I can add it up at the end to determine the overall distance of that combined run. But somehow I DO have to track it...I need to accumulate 20 miles over this 10 week challenge. So now there is a challenge to how I'm going to track miles in my challenge...arrrrgggg!
On a side note I spent a wonderful evening with my sisters. In the last few months we've made a deal to meet at least once a month. Each of those of us that live around here take a turn and make dinner. It's fun and relaxing. Tonight it was at my sister Colleen's house. She made Italian Spaghetti - a favorite of mine. Of course I ate too much (that's one of the reasons I rarely make it anymore at home - I know that I will eat more than I should because I love it so much). There are those foods in your life that you simply can't get control over...my recent motto is avoid them whenever possible. :-) and then enjoy them when you get the chance on occasion without guilt! And I did just that. YUM!
Stats:
Weight 217.5
Accumulated Miles: .35
BMI:37.5
Body Fat %:43.8
Weight 217.5
Accumulated Miles: .35
BMI:37.5
Body Fat %:43.8
Well tomorrow is my weigh day AND I need to workout hard! Wish me luck!
Tammy
No comments:
Post a Comment