My CHALLENGE to my readers!

I challenge you to make your life a masterpiece. I challenge you to join the ranks of those people who live what they teach, who walk their talk.
Tony Robins

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Diagnosis

Well on Tuesday 12/8/09 I was officially diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my knees.  Not the news I was hoping for.  I admit that I was hoping it was a meniscus tear that they could go in and repair.  A little bit of therapy and tada, I would be all better.  This is NOT the case with Osteoarthritis.  Basically my options are limited to dealing with the pain.  There is NO cure.  The Dr. said eventually I will need my knees replaced.  Bummer.

So now what?  Well I have done a little reading on the subject (not nearly enough...but some), and I have learned that losing weight will help the pain - so I'm on the right track there.  Read some info about how important reducing inflammation can be to slow the progression of the disease - so Dr. Perricone's anti-inflammatory diet is a good choice for me.  I have yet to learn which exercises will benefit me and cause the least pain or damage.  I asked my personal trainer on Jillian's site, but have not heard back yet.  Will have to do a little research on this.

I'm still processing this information.  I go from hopeful because finally I'm taking stuff to help manage the pain (right now I'm on 4 Aleve (2 in the morning and 2 at night) and 8 Ibuprofen (2 every four hours).  It seems to be helping - although today I'm having a little more pain.  I might have over done it yesterday walking into work after a big snow storm.

I have NO intention of letting this undermine my weight loss efforts.  I will just have to readjust my plan a bit - that's what I'm going to be working on.  The battle continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment